Friday, November 20, 2015

What do you want to read?

Pleasing an audience is something that writers will almost always have as a goal, even if only in the back of their minds. However, making yourself happy when you write is just as important - if you don't even like the story you're writing, how can you expect other people to?

It may seem obvious that a writer should like their own story, but it isn't always. There have been times when I've found myself working on a story only to realize one day, "you know what? I don't like this plot anymore." This goes along the lines of losing interest in a certain project as well.

When writing your story, think to yourself: would I enjoy reading this? If the answer is no, there's a good chance that writing it has become tedious as well. At that point, revamping your plot, characters, or even your setting might be something to consider. That doesn't mean you should throw the old draft out (actually, that's something you should NEVER do). You never know what little details you might want to include in later drafts regardless of how the plot has changed as a whole.

Think about what the world of fantasy is missing. What's something you've never, ever seen or read before? How can you build off of that and turn it into a story all your own? If you are happy writing it, there will definitely be people who are happy reading it.

2 comments:

  1. I really agree about not throwing out work. I hate clutter in my house but I cannot throw out my college works yet. I have all my notebooks since I started college. I think that it is important to keep things that you might need later and get rid of things that you dislike and are in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that making yourself happy when you write is just as important as pleasing the audience because if you don't like your writing, then chances are your work isn't exciting. No one is going to like your writing if it's not exciting.

    ReplyDelete