Monday, November 2, 2015

So you want to write a series...

(image by steamboatbooktrails.org)

Plenty of popular stories these days can be found in the form of a series - especially a trilogy! Stories like The Maze Runner, The Hunger Games, and Harry Potter are very popular amongst fantasy/sci-fi lovers. However, writing a series can be more difficult than you think. 

Personally, I don't like to plan around the possibility of a sequel - unless I know exactly how I want the story to continue after the first book (and come to think of it, I can't remember a time I've ever actually done that). I'm the kind of person who prefers to write stand-alone stories, but for those of you interested in writing a series, I do have a little advice!

As I mentioned above, it's never a good idea to plan around having a sequel unless you know how your story is going to continue on. For example, if you find yourself having trouble wrapping up a certain storyline, don't just immediately say, "oh, I'll fix it in the sequel!" Sequels are often good at serving that sort of purpose, but try not to leave your main storyline unfinished. Make sure the first installment of the series was worth something other than just an introduction to your characters, plot. etc. 

Don't feel inclined to write a sequel just for the sake of having a sequel. If your story is all nicely wrapped up by the end, and anything further would just be forced writing, leave it be! Don't write a sequel unless you want to, or believe it's necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy sequels. I think if I were a writer I would always have the possibility of a sequel. Give the people what they want! I did not get into the Harry Potter series but I think one of these days when I am out of college I will read them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really talk much about sequels for stories because I don't read often like most people do. What I can say about sequels for movies is that most of the time, the first movie is better than each sequel after it. I feel like that has to be the case for some story sequels, but maybe not all of them.

    ReplyDelete